I like the use of the long thin fat profile of the I-beam edge as a unifying vocabulary for the balustrade of the stairs, the balustrade for front of mezzanine, and the metal-framed-glass-wall of the mezzanine bathroom.
How about extending the same vocabulary to the kitchen as well?
Instead of a close kitchen, we can build an open kitchen with a long island where the island is sited just below the I-beam, and the countertop of the island is of the same thickness (and possibly colour and material) as the I-beam edge. See drawings on left for possible kitchen configuration.
The same I-beam edge can also be used as drawer/cabinet handle that spans the entire width of the drawer/cabinet.
... and extending the same vocabulary to the suggested storage on the West wall.
Instead of close cabinets, a set of long thin floating shelves (with no visible support) will be better for books or for displaying objects.The profile (and if possible material and colour) of each shelf will match the I-beam edge.
Instead of blackened steel, can we consider painting the I-beam and all other similar elements a glossy white? Or a metallic brass finish? I'd like to keep the colour scheme as light as possible. This is to offset the lack of direct light coming into the flat (except in the morning). Perhaps (primarily) white, grey, brass/gold and accents of black and green?
I found a lovely example of a blackened steel island, see picture on left.
More interesting is this steel table support from Craig Van der Brulle, I wish I can use it as the island support in the drawing I have above - what a statement it would make!
No comments:
Post a Comment